How To Run A Hypnotherapy Practice
In this post you are going to learn how to run hypnotherapy practice. So let’s just get started.
How Io Set Up Your Office
You want to have a clean, professional office that encourages people to trust you.
Put any certificates you have conspicuously about your waiting room.
As you gain more experience, you may want to record a half hour hypnosis pre-talk video, which will free extra time up for you to finish working with previous client.
Sit next to them or a little to the side instead of directly in front of them to be non-confrontational.
If a scantily clad woman comes in, you don’t want her mind to be preoccupied with keeping her skirt at a modest level. You can offer a blanket to cover her legs, stating that body temperature may drop during hypnosis (which is true.) Meanwhile the unconscious is no longer preoccupied with keeping modest appearances.
As a rule ask people to come in a loose fitting clothing, like casual exercise clothes.
Create a scrapbook full of testimonials and success stories to leave in your waiting room for people to look through.
It is useful to have cookies or healthy snack alternatives, juice and water available.
Hypnotherapy Over Telephone
Client: Hi I am interested in Hypnosis for X – how much does it cost?
Hypnotist: Hello, well we can certainly work with X – but I need to ask you a couple of questions first:
- How did you hear about us?
- ls it for yourself or are you calling on someone else’s behalf?
- 3-5 General questions about the problem: how long, how severe, when and where etc
- When did you want to resolve X?
- How much do you know about us and our method?
- Give them a general overview of your practice and how you are unique: We use a cutting edge set of hypnosis protocols that go directly to the root of problems in the unconscious minds. As a rule we aim to clear up a problem in 1-3 sessions maximum – on the rare occasion that we cannot do something positive in that time, then we will not waste any more of your time or money by trying to persuade you to keep coming. We are totally focused on one thing: doing the right things to get you the best results possible!
- Each session – including [add whatever bonuses you want, like a guarantee, free follow up programme, Self hypnosis CDs etc!is just $XX [usually $90-250 depending on your location and your clientele!!
- Does that sound like the kind of thing you were looking for?
Client: Well yes!
Hypnotist: Great! When would you like to come in – I see we have a spot open on Tuesday or Wednesday…
Which Of The 4 Conversational Patterns Should You Use?
The Hypnotic Blitz and MBL loops are perfect for totally covert settings, like management meetings, coaching setting, reviewing one of your team and giving them a pep talk, that sort of thing.
If you are doing therapy, you’ll probably start with MBL loops straight away.
If it seems that the MBL loops get stuck at a certain point and it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere, you staff feeling like something is not right about this whole thing, or a strong emotion emerges, that’s your cue to start to the Regression process.
If you do a regression and its all cleaned up, and they go away happy and changed, and they come back two weeks later saying it all worked until X happened, and it came back, they started smoking again etc, it shows there is a secondary gain, so you go straight into Re-integration which is the 4th pattern which is basically the cleanup technique.
It really is that simple!
How To Do Your First Hypnotherapy Session
- The session begins with the first telephone call, you can start preparing client right away.
- Don’t give price up front, run through your telephone script instead!
- Always record your actual sessions so you can prove proper behaviour should any questions arise at a later date!
- NB when making recordings, each country/state has different rules about making the “secret” recordings. The simplest thing to do is have the camera out in the open and , turn ‘ it on when the client sits down – they rarely make a fuss if you explain that its for good record keeping!
- When they come into the office: Start setup frames for success first “I’ve got a great process that has been shown to be helpful for that situation”- Never make claims that it will absolutely work for them!
- Engage the client with success stories or magic moments
- Run them through the full Intake Form, it is very important to make sure there isn’t any medical reason you should not continue.
- Give them a Pre-talk so they know what to expect from hypnosis (if you are formally doing hypnosis!) This can eventually be pre-recorded, but get lots of up front practice at the beginning.
- Scope: get permission to do trance and what specific problems you may address, and stick to the agreed boundaries.
- Test/condition/recovery strategy
- BP2, emerge
- Posthypnotic blitz/conditioning, debrief, check if any questions about process.
- Task to do at home to reinforce whatever happened, that is fine, tasking is appropriate sometimes, isn’t at other times, won’t be talked about, optional extra.
Unless you have a medical degree, you need to be very careful with who you take as a client. If I you do have a medical degree, you have better knowledge of who is safe for you to work with.
Do not perform therapy for anyone who is insane or has a serious mental problem – unless your I discipline authorizes you to practice that kind of medicine!
Never treat a person with the following conditions unless you have a proper doctor’s referral:
- Heart condition
- Clinical Depression
- If they have been under a doctor’s care in the past year
You need to be extra careful with patients who have heart conditions, do not allow the emotions ‘ to get too intense at any stage of the process!
If they have diabetes, do not medicate (telling them to eat cookie or drink juice considered I medicating). However, should have both on hand, and mention at the beginning of session where they are in case the client makes their own decision to eat or drink.
If they have epilepsy, be very careful because they could have seizures at any time, which may ‘ or may not be related to hypnosis session.
Do not perform any major therapy with someone who is pregnant, as a strong abreaction could produce complications.
If someone has asthma, be very careful with regression because it might trigger an asthma attack.
Important information to include on intake form:
- Name: For record keeping
- Date of session: For record keeping and to send them a congratulatory postcard after 6 and 12 months
- Date of Birth: To send handwritten birthday cards
- Marital Status: If divorced, there may be unconscious guilt about that.
- How did you hear about us? Crucial for your market research!! You must know what works:, yellow pages, newspaper, write editorials
- Referrals: Write to thank referrer
- Medical Referrals: Write to thank the Doctor, and keep advised of patient’s progress
- Heart conditions: avoid shock inductions and avoid abreactions
- General Practitioner name/contact To get consent when needed
- You cannot diagnose symptoms unless you are a medical doctor
- Have them come to appointment wearing loose clothing
- For medial conditions, you must get a medical referral. Send follow-ups to keep the doctor informed
- Never treat pain without doctor’s referral
- Send referral form to doctor yourself to make sure it gets done.
I think now you are ready to start your hypnotherapy practice.